13 July 2012

Two sets of twins and Red Leicester cheese!

That Twin Thing

So here I want to tell a story, if I may, of an incident that occurred around the time Elvis died, 1977 - but first I must digress a little to a number of years previous.  My twin sister and I were 14 and on our  holiday abroad with our parents where we met a set of identical twins who rapidly became a huge part of our lives.  We were inseparable on holiday and when we returned home, despite living some distance from one another.  Dee befriended the oldest twin and I the youngest.  We wrote letters, shared the 'Osmond' smile with each other, swooning over our teen idols and one day we were invited to stay at their home. 

The four of us had been to the local fair and returned home hungry.  Dee and Liz proceeded to the kitchen where they had a discussion about cheese of all things.  Liz asked if she wanted Red Leicester cheese in her sandwich and Dee proclaimed she hadn't tried it before.  In response to this Liz cut a slice and offered it to her, Dee accepted and agreed she loved it. They left the kitchen. The conversation wasn't inspiring or anything out of the ordinary.



Myself and Tina were equally as hungry and on seeing the cheese board left on the worktop we proceeded to have the same conversation.  I admitted I had never tried Red Leicester cheese, Tina cut me a slice, asked if I liked it, I agreed I did and she made me a sandwich.  Unbeknown to the four of us the twins' brother was in the adjacent room and he stood in the kitchen doorway, I remember looking a little white.  He didn't speak for a brief second and then said something very strange has just happened.  Tina and I looked at one another, bewildered.  He revealed that he had heard the identical conversation from us that our sisters had just shared.  He said he was spooked by it because there was no difference in what we had said.  He referred it to a retake on a film set.     I remember saying, what do you expect with two sets of twins in the house.  He teasingly called us witches!


Although I live abroad now we communicate daily via social networking and Instant Messaging.  In particular reference to Dee's Twins World UK venture, we often type the same thing with the usual follow up of get out of my head!


Does this happen because we are twins and are more sensitive in knowing what the other is thinking or feeling, or could it just be because we have established a very close working relationship and our reactions are based on familiarity rather than the twin thing?


Do you see that twin connection type of telepathy in your twins?  Are you an older twin and have had experiences similar to those I have described, we would love to know? 


We like to believe that we are ultra sensitive because we are twins - Dee, most certainly felt my labour pains before she even knew I was in the hospital - don't think I have ever been forgiven for that! 


Who knows if the twin connection is for real, but it sometimes scares the hell out of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Widgets